The electronic signature is defined as a group of data that identifies the person who has sent a document electronically. Therefore, it is a safer way to send documents that also saves time and travel.
Thus, the person who receives this document can be sure of who sent it, and that it has not been modified after being signed electronically.
To carry out this process, it is necessary to have a digital certificate or an electronic ID in advance. These two elements allow the signer to be identified securely through a series of cryptographic keys.
Now that we know what digital certificates are for and what they are, the question arises, how can we obtain them?
A digital signature is also commonly known as a digital certificate. In order to digitally sign a document a current digital certificate is required,
There are many commercial third-party certificate authorities from which you can either purchase a digital certificate or obtain a free digital certificate. Many institutions, governments, and corporations can also issue their own certificates.
A digital certificate is necessary for a digital signature because it provides the public key that can be used to validate the private key that is associated with a digital signature. Digital certificates make it possible for digital signatures to be used as a way to authenticate digital information.
What is the next step for electronic signature?
From now on we can sign any document and send it, either online invoices or even file taxes. For this we only have to follow these processes:
- When we are sure that it is perfectly finished and we have thoroughly reviewed it to avoid any failure, we can include the digital signature at the end of the document or form, which creates a summary of it.
- Prepare the document that we want to sign or fill out the web form.
- Once this is done, the system will ask us for a secret key that certifies our identity and therefore prevents impersonation of the issuer.
- The signature will be placed at the end of the document or form, making the summary that is coded visible.
- The document can now be sent safely.
In most cases it is not necessary to be connected to the internet to electronically sign a document, but it will be necessary when the document to be signed is on an online site, as is often the case with all documents and forms of the public administration ( presentation of the income statement, application for working life, receipt of electronic notifications or signing of electronic invoices)